When Frederick Stidinger Shryock purchased the stone side of the property from the Millers he was approximately 49 years old. He was born in 1794 at Hagerstown, Maryland, and was a descendant of the Jacob Shryock (1714-1772), who emigrated from Germany and settled in York County, Pennsylvania in 1733. Frederick married Elizabeth Shepherd in 1815 and the couple had moved to Stephensburg where they purchased a portion of Lot 22 (now part of the Stephens City Outlet) in 1818. They had at least five sons: Charles E., Jacob N., James P., Thomas W. and John. Frederick and his sons Charles, John, and Jacob were listed variously in records as house carpenters, carpenters, and cabinetmakers.
It is likely that the Shryocks used their carpentry skills to alter the stone side of the house, making adjustments so that it would be independent of the log side of the duplex. These alterations may have included the construction of a narrow right-angle stairway leading to the second floor in the southern room of the ground floor on the stone side of the house. The scar of this stairway can be seen today on the southern wall of the ground floor room. They also may have built the walls to seal-off the old doorways that connected the two sides of the house. It is also possible that the Shryocks altered and improved the outbuildings that once stood behind the Stone House for use in their woodworking business. Though there are no specific references in the deeds to the stone side of the duplex being his residence, Frederick did not appear to own any other properties in town at that time.
Frederick Shryock passed away in 1848. Among the items listed in his estate sale were wood working tools including a lathe, turning tools, planes and a veneer saw. His son Charles purchased these items at his father’s estate auction and undoubtedly continued to use them in his carpentry and cabinet making business. Frederick’s wife Elizabeth retained a life interest in the stone side of the duplex. The 1850 Federal Census shows Charles (age 29), Jacob (age 22), and John (age 18) all residing in the same household. In fact, Charles had earlier purchased the north half of Lot 58 (5322/5324 Main Street) in 1846 when he married his first wife Rachel Ann Young. This evidence implies that Charles and his younger brothers had all moved out by 1850 leaving it to their mother who was living alone in the stone side of the property. Oddly, for some unknown reason, she is not listed in the 1850 Federal Census. We might be tempted to think she had passed away by that time if it were not for the fact that Shryock family records maintain that she died on 27 February 1858. We also know that another deed dated 7 May 1850 shows that Charles Shryock sold his interest and share as an heir in the stone side of the Stone House to a “Jacob A. Marks.” Charles’ sister Ann married a Jacob A. Marks, so it is very likely this Jacob A. Marks was Charles’ brother-in-law. The 1850 census lists Jacob and Ann Marks living with their two-year-old son Charles in the household of a local machinist named Robert B. Winslow. This deed specifically states that Charles’ share in the Stone House was subject to the life estate of his mother, Elizabeth Shryock. In other words, this deed confirms that Elizabeth Shryock was alive in 1850 and that she had a legal right to live in the stone side of the Stone House property until she died. Apparently, Elizabeth never remarried before she died, and in 1855 Jacob A. Marks sold his “interest,” or share, in the Stone House property to pay a debt he had incurred in 1853. These court records do not indicate to whom he sold his share, but we can infer from later deeds that it was to other members of the Shryock family. Elizabeth Shryock appears to have lived alone in the stone side of the Stone House until her death in 1858.
It was also during this decade of the 1850s that Charles’ first wife Rachel died and he married his second wife Martha V. Pifer. John, the youngest of the Shryock sons, married Elizabeth Crider on 11 May 1854. John and Elizabeth tragically lost a young daughter named Sarah to whooping cough in July 1857. Three months earlier Jacob Shryock was married to Mary Elizabeth Dinges on 27 April 1857. Their first child, a boy they named Webster H., was born in February 1858, the same month that his grandmother Elizabeth Shyock passed away. When Elizabeth died, ownership of the stone side of the Stone House remained among Shryock family heirs. Jacob was the member of the family who took the greatest interest in the Stone House. At that time he was living at the site of the old Thornton McLeod wagon shop on lot 29 (5377 Main Street) and had been there since 1857, the year of his marriage. In the years that followed, until 1872 when Jacob Shryock finally sold the stone side of the house, it appears that the Shryocks leased the stone side of the property to tenants.